• Spartan Pride! Go Big Red!

View more videos at: http://nbcbayarea.com.

Cyberbullying: The Case of Audrie Pott, Rehtaeh Parsons, and Steubenville, Ohio

Audrie's Poster

Related Content

Joshua Xiong, Managing Editor
April 22, 2013
Filed under Opinion, Top Stories

Joshua Xiong

Lately, there have been hearings about recent deaths because of cyber bullying in America such as the deaths of Audrie Pott and Rehtaeh Parsons. In fact, many people of our society overlook the severity of how social media and cyber bullying influence people.

Audrie Pott

The case of 15-year-old Audrie Pott, of Saratoga, California, is still processing in court. Audrie’s death happened to be because of cyber-related bullying that fueled her conscience to end her life. While being gang-raped, her assaulters video-recorded her and took photos of her; what is worse is they uploaded it on the Net where it was said to “spread like wildfire.” Audrie was a young and beautiful girl who played musical instruments and loved to sing and to play soccer; she had an entire future ahead of her. All of this would be destroyed when she made the decision to hang herself.

Rehtaeh ParsonsOperation Justice for Rehtaeh

17-year-old Rehtaeh Parsons of Canada faced a similar torment as Pott did. The Parsons family eventually had to move out of their community to avoid constant harassment. Even though she left, Rehtaeh continued to receive texts that stated, ‘Will you have sex with me?’ and ‘You’re such a slut.’ Rehtaeh was a leader. Those who knew Retaeh said she stood up for others and showed her compassion to people and animals. She was also an amazing artist. Retaeh made her mother’s life complete. Retaeh’s life and her mother’s heart would be forever shattered when Rehtaeh was found hanged.

Posters that supports the boys in Rehtaeh Parson's caseThen in Steubenville, Ohio, anonymous 16-year-old girl from West Virginia was raped, which she was also captured on photos and videos. This girl’s life will forever change because of her two assaulters, and although she was a victim of rape, her case will fight for the justice of women. To me, it makes no sense that even though this girl was treated like a toy, two other teenage girls threatened her over Twitter.

What do those two girls want? If they’re asking for trouble, they sure got it. Why would people stick up for the assaulters? It would be unbelievably wrong to let these monsters free; it will only teach them that if they got out free once, hell they’ll do it again.

Supporters of Rehtaeh's Case

There is no doubt that bullying exists everywhere in the world, and now that technology has advanced, cyber bullying has evolved from it. Technology is not a bad thing, but when we have the wrong users on, it is a threat to everyone’s security. So why do we look down on cyber bullying? Or rather, how come we are not aware of how serious it is?

Cyber bullying statistics states that more than 1 in 3 young people have experienced cyber threats online and well over half of young people do not tell their parents when cyber bullying occurs.

Cyber Bullying Info

I don’t believe schools actually teach students about bullying. Because we are so focused on learning mathematics, English, science, and other subjects, I believe we aren’t being taught morals such as cleaning up after oneself and learning how to respect one another. For example, bullying happens in any way and it will continue to happen because students aren’t taught enough about what bullying actually does to the victim. I believe it’s an adult’s job, whether it is a staff member of the school, a parent, anyone, to stick up for students.

Those boys in Steubenville, Ohio got away with it. Where is the justice? How those monsters ruined the lives of these young bright girls, it disgusts me. How are they even considered humane after the fact that they had the nerve to record and to publicize them? Rape is bad enough; we as society need to be more educated and make better decisions. Let’s start by deleting cyber bullying today.

(All information and photos above were based on news-worthy and reliable sources)

Comments

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!